I am thankful for God's perfect will and timing. He has a great plan for my life and because of this I don't have to worry about my future. In fact, the greatest evidence I have of this is how He orchestrated the meeting of my husband and I in 2003.
Jake's mom and my mom were college roommates. Yep, Jake's mom {originally from California} and my mom {originally from Washington} both decided to go to a small Christian college in Northern Oregon and just happened to be placed as roommates. As the story goes, they quickly became best friends. At college, Jake's mom met Jake's dad and decided to stay up in Oregon while my mom, who had also met my dad, decided to move to the central valley of California. Through the years they remained good friends, despite the distance, keeping up the occasional phone calls and visits. Now flash forward 20 years to my junior year of high school {2003}. Growing up I had known who Jake was but never cared too much. You see, when you're in high school, dating a guy at a different school is a challenge, so dating a guy in a different state? Yeah, not going to happen. Plus it was weird. Our moms were too good of friends. Okay, sorry, back to the story...
Winter formal was fast approaching for me and, just having broken things off with my high school boyfriend, I was dateless. Talk about big drama for a 16 year old girl. I remember crying to my mom saying "All the good guys already have dates...". So my mom, being the amazing problem solver that she is, arranged a little set up for Jake to fly down for a visit coincidentally on the weekend of my formal. As awkward of a setup as that was, I had to admit that going to my high school formal with an outgoing, attractive, out-of-state senior was not such a bad thing for me. Jake seemed happy about it too as he saw it as a free California vacation... and I think he thought I was pretty cute too ;)
So we ended up having a great time that weekend - the weekend that marked the beginning of an exciting new friendship. And really that's all it was. A friendship. We both saw each other as "undateable". I mean we lived in different states, he was heading to college, our moms were best friends... yeah, just not going to work. Because of that, he became my best guy friend. We would talk almost everyday and we could talk about anything. We even managed to see each other every couple of months. We had so much fun together and were best friends.
I'm so glad that's not where the story ends...
I'm so glad that's not where the story ends...
Two years later, at the end of my senior year of high school, he came down to visit for my graduation party and ceremony. Sometime during those 3 days, something changed for us. Something clicked. I remember my mom telling me that this would happen to us at some point {Of course at the time, I sincerely denied it}. Suddenly though I was nervous and giddy around him and he at the same time was much more affectionate towards me. Our relationship seemed to change for both of us at the same moment. God's perfect timing.
To make a long story short, we ended up at the same college and fell into dating, which quickly fell into love, which a few short years later turned into marriage. I never had to question our relationship because it was always right. We have this foundation of friendship and family that has made our marriage very strong. God's will and timing is perfect. He wants His children to be happy and we will be if we follow His will.
And I am so thankful!
And I am so thankful!


3 comments:
Thanks for sharing the cute story :) I read it to Rachael. We loved it :)
Beautiful!!! BTW your layout and picture are SO beautiful. I wish my blog was as cool as yours! :)
Thanks!!
Post a Comment