Marriage is hard work. Don't get me wrong, marriage is wonderful but today I feel the need to be realistic and transparent. For those of you who are married, I think you will understand...
As normal human beings, we are constantly changing. I am constantly discovering new things about myself {things I like, don't like, new passions, what I need from my husband}. I am the same but also very different from the woman that I was when I got married.
I can see now how it would be easy for some people to call it quits on their marriage after realizing that they've changed "We're just not compatible....we want different things..." I understand. But Jake and I both share the view that "quitting" is not an option so we choose to adapt.
Since pilot training began, Jake and I have had little time to really invest in each other and recognize the ways each other has changed and grown. We try to make time but there are simply not enough hours in the day. This can make for some rough miscommunications...
The simple truth is that we love each other solely and wholeheartedly. True love is not conditional (see 1 Corinthians 13). It holds us together on those days where we are not compatible. It reminds us that life is better because we have each other.
Don't let yourself be fooled by the "grass is greener on the other side" mentality and be careful not to idolize your past for something it was not.
Live in the now, reevaluate your relationship often, and be transparent.
Remember the vows you took on your wedding day.
{we did not just say them we meant them}



3 comments:
I love that list and it's so true! I totally agree with you! We've been married for 4 months(whoo hoo) so we haven't really changed since we got married but I totally agree that you need to adapt to eachother and it's a choice to love that person everyday. Marriage is great!! :) and I can't wait to come and visit!!
I have no idea what its like to be married. I have ideas, yes. But obviously I've never been married. I hope to remember this blog though once I am married because your thoughts were... real and beautiful. Thank for sharing sis. Means a lot to a younger sister.
Ps- Thanks for reading and commenting on my blogs. I love it. I'll send you that paper in the next couple of days :)
Post a Comment