Health update.

- - - - Wednesday, November 4, 2009 - - - -

This morning I went to my doctor on base to see if she could help figure out what was wrong with me since the E.R. told me nothing. At the time I went in I had been having trouble breathing for almost 48 hours!

Lots of people that I talked to yesterday kept implying that my breathing difficulties were just all in my head and I was too "stressed". I knew that I could not control my breathing problems, that it was not a result of stress, and that something was wrong with me. Thank goodness the doctor found the problem because I was starting to go crazy!

The doctor started with the normal questions and check up procedures that I feel like I have done so many times in the last 48 hours, and then she checked my breathing and said that it definitely didn't sound right. She sent me over to radiology to get chest x-rays, something that the E.R. did not have me do.

When the x-rays came back she said my lungs were very inflamed, similar to a person having bronchitis. I told her that I have not been coughing or sneezing, have not had a fever, have not been overly tired, and have not had any other symptoms to make me think I had bronchitis. I've had bronchitis before. I know what it feels like and this is not it.

She said that I have sort of an atypical viral bronchitis and that she was not surprised that I was having a very hard time breathing. She said that it can be treated with two prescription antibiotics and a special type of inhaler. In fact, she said that I should be feeling back to normal as soon as tomorrow! She could not believe that the E.R. doctor had failed to overlook such a simple diagnosis and said that if I had gotten meds on monday I could have been back at work on tuesday and could have avoided a whole day of pain and panic. I ended up carrying a grocery sized bag of medicine home with me!

Within just an hour of taking my meds, I can breathe! It's amazing how good it feels to be able to breathe. For days I have felt like I've been breathing out of a small straw with holes in it. Praise God it was not something more serious!

The doctor is still having me go to see a cardiologist next week. She said that we need to cover all our bases and be absolutely sure that there are not any issues with my heart. She said that it is very rare, but there are some heart diseases that can show up in women my age based on the symptoms I have been having. I'm positive that my heart is just fine but better safe then sorry right?

As far as my E.R. visit goes, my doctor agreed with me that it was a panic attack from me suddenly not being able to breathe. She said thats pretty common.

Anyways, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I am so happy that it turned out to be something so simple and relieved to finally be able to breathe again!

4 comments:

Patty said...

oh lindsey i am so glad that you are okay and glad that it is nothing more serious! glad you are already feeling better! :-)

Margaret said...

That's happy news Lindsey! Not the bronchitis part, but the being able to breath again part, and your doctor finding out what's wrong! I'm glad you were able to take something and its helping:)

Amy Rae said...

Lindsay I praise the Lord that you are feeling better and that this doctor had the wisdom to check the right things and get you breathing again!

Angela said...

So glad they were able to figure out what was going on!

Post a Comment