Last night was really hard. My best friend here on base, Ann, had to put her dog {Kai} down very quickly and unexpectedly. You all know I am a dog person and Ann is the same way. Kai was like a child to Ann and her husband Derek and they rescued him from an unloving family right after he turned 7 years old.
Kai was actually the reason Ann and I even met in the first place. Bailey and I were on a walk last March and Bailey saw Kai playing in the park. She bolted over to play with him and Ann and I got to talking, realizing we had a lot in common and both needed a friend on base, especially since our husbands were both gone at training in Alabama.
To say that Kai was a good dog is an understatement; he was probably the sweetest most well-behaved dog I've ever met. I hope that in a few years my sweet little pups will be somewhat comparable to him in their actions and attitude. Jake and I loved Kai so much! He was actually going to be our house guest for a few weeks over Christmas break while Ann and Derek went to visit family on the west coast. It all changed so quickly...
Just 6 days ago, Kai stopped eating. Before this, he never showed any signs of trouble. He then began throwing up and soon after began to collapse. Ann rushed him to an emergency animal hospital where they ran numerous tests to find out that he had cancer and it had already spread to his bone marrow. They expected him to only have days to live and he was in a lot of pain. Last night, they had to say their sad goodbyes.
It's so hard losing something you love so much. Bailey almost died in May and {ask anyone} I was a miserable wreck. My goal now is to comfort Ann and help to be her distraction however I can. It's so hard because our husbands are gone so much that we are often in an empty house...just with our pets. I know it will be a hard adjustment for her. I'm planning lots of girl time this week if she needs me to laugh, talk...and grieve.
Ann and I both believe in the power of prayer and healing. We both know that God does everything for a reason and his timing is perfect. However, its still a really hard thing. Please pray for my friends as they deal with this unexpected loss of their "child".
Bailey & Kai chewing on some rawhides...
Kai pretty much swallowed his whole and then regretted it :)
"Please Bailey can I have it?"



1 comments:
I almost cried reading this in class... :( Praying for her... I'll even miss Kai. Cute pictures. They're so precious.
Post a Comment