Small town USA.

- - - - Friday, October 9, 2009 - - - -



This is a picture that I took on my phone when I was walking out of work yesterday. It is the view from my office in West Point, Mississippi. West Point is one of those towns that you would never know existed unless you accidentally drove through it. There is really nothing in this little southern town that entices outside visitors and when you are here you feel as if you are a decade or more behind the city of Los Angeles.

With all that said, there is something about this town that is so charming and has made it a joy for me to experience. Most people I've met have lived here their entire lives just as the generations before them. Their lives for the most part seem simple and slow, spending fall evenings on their front porches with family. People are so connected here and it seems impossible for them to go anywhere without running into someone they know.

To be honest, I could never imagine living here forever, in this slow southern lifestyle. Some people love it and I've always kind of thought that I would too, but I've learned that its just not for me. In fact, last night Jake and I were talking about how we often miss the fast-paced, always-changing, "everything at your fingertips" lifestyle of living in a city.

I'm always amazed at what I learn about myself when I travel to different parts of the world and I'm thankful for all the different settings I've gotten to (and will get to) experience over the years.

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I loved this entry. You're so positive and you have such insight on yourself, its amazing. Its funny how you begin to miss the "fast-pace-ness" of life.

PS- that picture you took is incredible. I marveled over it for quite some time. :) Thanks for sharing sea-ster

Patty said...

love that picture! and so true about this slow small town life. nice for now but don't know about forever

Post a Comment