Puppy update.

- - - - Wednesday, October 28, 2009 - - - -


It's been a little over two weeks since we brought Badger home (who we mostly just call "Badge")  and now its hard to imagine our little family without him. As you can see from the picture above, he and Bailey have become really close over the past few weeks together. They love to sleep on eachother and cuddle. They are best buddies that play hard and then crash hard.


The thing I have learned about having two dogs, and one of them being an impressionable puppy, is that they quickly learn each others bad habits and often team up to get in trouble.

Example #1: Leash walking
When going on walks Badge pulls like crazy, which is understandable because he is still a puppy. But then Bailey noticed what he was doing and reverted back to her old ways of pulling, which she had stopped doing months ago. Now if they want to go a different way then I do, they've learned to both pull all their weight in the same direction which makes it very difficult for me. I have got to fix this problem before Badger is full-grown or I don't stand a chance against them!

Example #2: Jumping up on guests
Bailey has always had the problem of jumping on people to say hi; its a habit we've been trying to get rid of since she was a few weeks old. Badger on the other hand never jumps up on people...or at least he never used to. It's like Bailey said to him "Hey Badge, look, mom and dad love it when I do this!" And so this morning I got four little paw prints on my nice work clothes on my way out the door. I realize that this is not a habit that anyone will appreciate when Badge gets to be 65 lbs...then again, does anyone ever appreciate a jumping dog?

Example #3: Digging
Now that the dogs spend most of their days outside in the yard we have realized that we have a little digging problem. Ok, maybe its more like a big digging problem. It wasn't bad when just Bailey used to dig but now both will tag-team the same hole and, well, they tend to get a little carried away. Not only have they dug completely around our only tree in the backyard but they have also dug some of the foundation up against our house. Then there are the "pothole" style holes all over that I'm afraid are going to hurt someone someday.

Ay-yi-yi...{insert deep sigh of frustration here} I know they are both still puppies and both still learning. And how could I ever stay mad at them? Look at these faces...

1 comments:

Jaclyn said...

This is my favorite blog ever written by you. I was laughing so hard. This is so funny. And I when I was reading it, I could picture out saying these stories. I can picture these stories happening and I loved it. Not to mention... those pictures are so unbelievably adorable. I have a feeling there will be similar blogs to this one when you have kids. How can you stay mad at them when they do these things... they're just so precious.

Post a Comment