I need some help people! For weeks now I have been trying to come up with a name for my future freelance web design business. Although it won't be officially up and running until I am finished with my classes next fall, I want to get the name set now; one reason being that I need to purchase a domain name to serve as a portfolio site for my design classes and I would love to purchase the domain name of my future business so I can just switch it over when the time comes to launch my business. And in the meantime I can direct people to my portfolio site to follow what I'm doing design-wise.
So this is totally the hard part... what will the name be? I originally planned to use some variation of my name (Lindsay Nicole Pruitt) and just add the word design(s) to the end of it, but then I started thinking maybe I should have a name that stands out a little more, something more memorable. Unfortunately I have racked my brain for weeks now and searched all over the world wide web for inspiration and come up empty-handed. Arghh, this is so hard. I'm just waiting and waiting for that light bulb to turn on with an idea. Any advice? Do you think I should use my own name or form a company name? Is it silly to make a company name when I only ever plan to be a solo freelance artist? I would LOVE for you to help me brainstorm. Message me or leave me a comment if a name pops into your head or if you have any other advice on this topic. I would sooo appreciate it!

5 comments:
I think its a great idea that you are already choosing a name! I can't think of anything right now but if something comes up I will share. Post a few ideas so we can vote!
I love the voting idea!
I think the best thing to do is your name. If you make it too specific or trendy, you could be locked into forever and you may not love it forever. Also, you don't want to lock yourself into anything. What if you want to branch out and do something different but your name is specific to web or something. Also, when you become super huge and famous =) You might consider getting a llc or even for tax purposes it is much easier/better to use your name. Just thinking long-term for ya!
(I deleted the post before because I realized I had a good grip of typos...third grade style)
Naming your business is SO exciting! Make sure to enjoy it :) I'm with Emilee on this one though!
I think it's a great idea to use your name for domain purposes and business recognition...but what you could do is spin something creative for your logo- and brand yourself in a very cute way...whether that be your SIGNATURE as linds, lindsay, lindsay nicole, or lindsay nicole pruitt, LNP, Mrs. P, or you could have one SYMBOL next to your name whether that be a lamp, or a heart, or something random! And lastly, you could also brand yourself with a signature COLOR!
SO to sum up: myyyy opinion: use your name but brand yourself in a very creative way- business cards, stationery,notes etc.
xoxoxo you're gonna rock as a web designer love!
What are you leaning towards? :)
Post a Comment