Oh yes, today is that day. April 15th. Usually this day blows by without me even acknowledging it, having already completed my taxes months before, eager to know if I'd be getting a refund. This year was no different. Right at the beginning of February, Jake and I compiled all our info, filed our taxes, and had a nice little $1800 return headed our way. Why did I just tell you that little story you ask? Well because it didn't end there. Fellow military spouses pay attention... this may apply to you!
Back in November, a new law was put into action stating that active-duty military spouses do not have to pay state taxes on income earned somewhere other than your state of residence. Seriously, its pretty awesome, check it out here. Well my state of residence is still California (and thats another new perk of the military - not having to change your residence every time you move) and Mississippi has definitely been taking state taxes out of my paycheck every month. I talked to my accountant at work about this and she said that I was definitely entitled to a refund of all that money. But when did I find out this information you ask? Yesterday. April 14th. And when is tax day? Oh yeah that's today.
To say the least it was a ridiculous struggle getting everything in line to get my refund (there was a ton of documentation involved) but I did it. Yes! And just in time too because this month we have to start making my new school payments [loans, yuck] and also have to put a hefty little down-payment on those shiny new braces of mine [ew, double-yuck]. Anyways, for all you other hard-working military spouses out there, it may be too late to get a refund for this year but its not too late to earn a little more money each month by becoming exempt from state taxes. Just tell your employer that you need to fill out a revised form 89-350. Thought you'd want to know :)
As for tonight, I've got American Idol on DVR and it's calling my name. Happy Thursday everybody! Hope this week treated you well.
1 comments:
Good to know info!! Thanks for sharing and glad you were able to get your refund back!!
Post a Comment