It's official... Mississippi has insanely crazy weather! I thought I had experienced it before but this weekend was the worst yet. If you are from the south and are used to tornadoes you will definitely laugh at my little "freak out" in this post but hey, I'm from the west coast and have never seen weather like this in my life!! I should start by saying that lately we have had gorgeous weather here. It's been in the 70s and 80s, sunny, and beautiful. Out of nowhere on Friday evening this HUGE rain/hail storm came in. It was raining harder, bigger drops than I have ever seen before and it stayed really warm outside during the entire thing. I was totally fascinated by it! I really do love when it rains... as long as I'm watching it from the inside that is :)
Saturday morning the weather was still pretty crummy, not raining but extremely overcast, crazy windy, and very humid. Jake left around lunchtime to go into town to study with some guys in his class (He has a big checkride this week so his weekend was ALL study no play) and I stayed home to get some things done around the house. Okay here's where the story gets entertaining... Around 3:30 I was inside and heard a loud speaker outside so I went to see what they were saying. Turns out, security forces (which is our police here on base) was driving around with a speaker saying "Everyone need to go inside immediately. Take shelter and stay away from all windows." They had never done this before in the year and a half I've lived here. I looked up at the sky and saw the clouds were low and swirling in this crazy way. It was hot and humid and even though it was mid-afternoon, the sky started to get kind of dark. Seriously, if you are not used to it, tornado weather is really freaky!
I ran inside and texted my friend who also lives on base and said "What do I do? Where am I supposed to 'take shelter'?" She said she was going to go in the closet under the stairs since there is really no other place in our house that is clear of windows. Nervous of the unknown at this point, I cleared out our closet (which is really only used to hold the vacuum, an old microwave and a few random boxes) grabbed the dogs, some blankets, and a book and started a little campout to wait out the storm. I didn't have any light in the closet though so I decided to put up our doggy gate and just leave the door open. Okay I know you are totally laughing at me by now but I really had no idea what I was supposed to do in this kind of weather and Jake was NOT home to calm me down! Haha. Anyways, after about 15 minutes, I got bored and decided it was not really necessary to be sitting in the closet. I mean the storm was bad - the worst I've seen before actually - but it was nothing life threatening. Or so I thought... Once my cable came back on, the news said that TEN people had been killed by tornadoes just south of us in Mississippi! How scary and awful is that?!
Because I document everything on film, here we are camping out in the closet. After we got out, it was so funny because Bailey did not want to leave!
Anyways, that was my dramatic Saturday afternoon. The bad part of the storm literally only lasted a little over a half hour and then suddenly blue skies were back out! This is just weather I will never be able to get used to. Hope you were entertained by my story :)

2 comments:
Glad you survived the storm! That's the one thing that scares me with moving to Vance AFB in OK.
That was cute and I so would have done the same thing!
Post a Comment