Snow Day!

- - - - Thursday, January 7, 2010 - - - -

Yes, its true. Outside my window, large flakes of snow are falling from the sky... in Mississippi! In fact, most of the area has declared it a "snow day" so lots of people are off work and most kids are out of school for the day. My work actually is not canceled today but my boss told me not to come in and just call it a snow day because the drive from Columbus to West Point, where I work, has a lot of bridges that tend to ice over during the freezing rain and snow and that might be dangerous by this afternoon.

So here I am, happy as can be, at home on the couch, in my pjs, robe, and slippers, sipping on hot coffee and cuddling with my puppies while I write this blog. I've even got some beef stew cooking in the crock pot to enjoy later today. I've never had a snow day before. Its like a totally unexpected extra day off to do whatever I please. Maybe I'll read, maybe I'll clean, maybe I'll scrapbook. Maybe I'll do nothing but sit here and watch movies all day and stare at the beautiful snow outside. Anyway I slice it, it's a happy day :)

But there is something I need to vent about if you all don't mind...

It really bothers me when people debate what is "cold" weather or what is a "real" snow. A lot of people on base are from places that get major snowstorms during the winter, so the cold and snow we get in Mississippi is a joke to them. Understandable. For them. But I wish they would realize that I am from California! and moved here from Los Angeles! I have never lived somewhere where snow falls outside my window...ever! Sure I have vacationed to the snow lots of times but it is a rare occasion for me to see snow falling. This is awesome for me!!

I realize that today is not a vicious winter snow storm but it is snowing and we do have a snow day, so why should it bother anyone that I am so excited? If someone moved to California and went to the beach for the first time, I would never try to diminish their excitement no matter how many times I've been to the beach.

And temperatures in the 20's and 30's mean it is cold outside. Quit saying "Oh you California girl..." I really think it is freezing outside! I am used to 60 and 70 degree weather all year long. Tomorrow the low here is 6 degrees! I'm sorry but that is cold no matter where you are from. 

Phew. Ok I'm done with my vent. I really just needed to get all that out there so I can put other people's comments and opinions aside and enjoy my snow day!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its okay Lindsay. I am from MN where the weather is also in the 4 degree range and we too have a snow storm falling. I totally agree with you that 20 degree weather IS in fact freezing and I have lived in MN my whole life. So from one MN girl to another Cali girl, enjoy your snow day =)

Patty said...

I agree with your vent! I don't that some people are making fun of the excitement. The last time I had a snow day was in the second grade so this morning I screamed its snowing and woke Randy up. :-)

Lindsay said...

Thanks for the support guys :) I had such a great day off! Hope you've had a great week!!

Post a Comment