Grass is always greener.

- - - - Wednesday, January 20, 2010 - - - -


As the saying goes... The grass is always greener on the other side. I bring this up because lately I have been itching for something new and I need to vent or at least give myself a little pep talk. This blog post might be random and a bit of a ramble but I need to write this out so I can get over it. Hey, that's what my blog is for right?

Basically, things have been very slow at work lately and the monotony of the daily routine I've had for the past six months is beginning to wear on me and my usual enthusiasm. Lately I have been thinking so much about the future - the different places we'll get to live, the way different things will play out - and I find myself thinking how just about anything sounds better than where I'm at now. I need to snap out of it! I found this blog excerpt from almost exactly a year ago, talking about the grass being greener on the other side...

"Basically my typical day is not super exciting. I usually sleep in until about 9, take the dog on walks, work on my classes, go to the gym, clean, cook lunch and dinner, talk to the neighbors, knit, scrapbook, watch tv, and anything else I can do to fill my time. It sounds great right? I mean it is but it is already starting to get old. I don't get much interaction with people or have any big challenges during the day which is something I really need. I know I should just enjoy this period of my life, seeing as how I may never get this much free time again, but I am itching to find a job or something new to do. Jake and I are definitely still adjusting and I think we will be for a while still. He is doing good at taking care of me though and makes me laugh when I get lonely or homesick."

The thought of lounging around everyday like I was doing a year ago sounds oh-so-amazing right now - Seriously people, the grass is always greener! The fact is though that I remember how I felt when I wrote that. I felt stuck and bored and lonely.

I know that this "living in the future" mindset continues to be a problem for me. I've written about this before. I need to enjoy the now and know that the future will come soon enough. At this moment, I have a secure and well paying job that is allowing me to gain experience and allowing us to save for our future, not to mention I have really great coworkers. I have a beautiful house to come home to every day and an amazing husband who for the moment is lucky enough not to have to deploy. I also have an amazing group of friends here that are fun and genuine and never let me get lonely.

I have come so far since that blog post I wrote a year ago and have really made a place for myself here in Mississippi. Why am I so anxious to move on? The fact is, my time left in Mississippi is short. Six months from now, we will have our next assignment and will be leaving and I will have lots of exciting change {Actually, it could be much sooner than that now that Jake has officially decided to put the T-44 track first on his list, but more on that later...} Change is coming fast and I should enjoy being comfortable while I can.

Whew! Am I the only one who has a problem with this? I find it ridiculous. While the grass may very well be greener on the other side, the side I'm on now is pretty darn green and I'm going to do whatever I can to enjoy it while I can.

O.K. Pep talk over. Bring on the Mississippi enthusiasm!


1 comments:

Margaret said...

I get like that too:) I miss working, and I miss living in Southern California. I'm ready to move already! But I just found out we'll be here longer than planned... It's not a bad thing, just not what I wanted!

I'm excited to find out where you guys go next!

Post a Comment