Good for the soul

- - - - Monday, June 7, 2010 - - - -

Weekends are sooo good for the soul and this weekend was especially wonderful. I know I always complain about how I'm so ready to get out of Columbus but really when I'm on base or hanging out with friends its not so bad at all (Working in the community here? Well, that's totally a different story).

Friday night we had a fun dinner and movie date night with Ann & Derek, and of course the movie portion consisted of all three of our dogs running a racetrack around the house and jumping full hurdles over the couch haha. Saturday morning, Jake and I decided to have an official Pruitt house cleaning day. Seriously... we made a list of to-do's down to the nitty gritty things like cleaning the baseboards and blinds, and vacuuming underneath the couch cushions and behind furniture. Being that Jake and I are very systematic about the way we do things (and the minor fact that we both despise household chores), we went down our list and took turns choosing what we would do, and of course I opted out of dishes and laundry, my two never-ending enemies. And it was a longgg day but at the end we felt so productive and energized and proud of the fact that our house was now spic and span, even in the little places that only we would ever notice. Now if I could only find the motivation to tackle that upstairs hall closet...

Late Saturday afternoon, we headed across the street to a bbq birthday get-together for some friends. I got a chance to catch up with some of the wives that I don't see very often and it was so much fun. I'm really thankful to have met such great people here. Then at approximately 7:23pm, Ann called and we decided to go catch a chick flick at the movie theater only to find out that what we wanted to see started at 7:30! Determined to make it on time, I literally flew into my car, picked up Ann, and raced to town to the movie theater. We were so proud when we walked in to the opening credits of the movie... Yes!! I came home at 10:30 to find Jake pretty much where I had left him, sitting in our driveway with our neighbor, hanging out, enjoying the nice summer weather on a Saturday night, having totally forgotten for the time being about all the stresses of life... like I said, weekends are good for the soul.

The Sunday morning church service was wonderful as usual and very thought-provoking. We started a "FAQ" series at church where the pastor addresses tough questions that are often asked by believers. We spent the whole sermon diving into the Word to find the answers straight from the source. I liked this because when it comes to God I'm not one to just automatically believe everything a preacher says; I like to check things being referenced and learn the context of the passage to make sure I'm understanding it correctly. During the whole service I kept thinking of how thankful I am to have married a man so similar to me in this area. On biblical subjects that are often controversial or "debatable" we are a perfect match for eachother... solid as a rock on what we believe. I never have to worry about how we will raise our future children, or what type of church we will attend every time we move. Being this way makes marriage a thousand times easier and now I think I fully understand the whole Biblical idea of being "equally yolked" (2 Cor. 6:14-15). 

After church we enjoyed a nice lunch out and then I headed to the pool on base for a nice afternoon out with the girls. The pool just opened last weekend and it was just in time... its been so ridiculously hot and humid this past week! It was such a nice feeling to lay in the sun, relax, and catch up with my friends about everything going on in our lives. Every half hour or so the lifeguard would blow the whistle, which meant it was time for a 15 minute adult swim and all the kids would scramble out of the pool and then we would get in :) It was nice not to be splashed or hit in the face with beach balls... okay wait am I sounding old? Well I can't be that old because during the adult swim, Brittney and I realized that there was no longer a line for the waterslide and proceeded to go down it multiple times in a row, giggling like little kids as it would shoot us out like a canon. Ahh, so much fun! I really hope that was just the first of many more pool days this summer. 

Then last night, I made a yummy beef stew and cornbread dinner for Jake and I and got a little bit of work done on the computer while watching the MTV Movie Awards, which by the way was thoroughly unimpressive other than the new trailer they showed for Eclipse :) And now, its Monday and I'm back to the daily grind of juggling work and school and more work. It really was a wonderful and long weekend and for a Monday I am feeling oddly refreshed and ready for the long week ahead. Happy Monday everyone!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment