Contentment vs. fulfillment.

- - - - Tuesday, April 28, 2009 - - - -


Today I am really struggling with contentment, mainly in the area of my job. I am sitting here bored out of my mind at work because there is really no work for me today and thinking how I would rather be doing anything else. I sit here desiring to go home and return to my days of doing nothing on base. At the same time, I want to slap myself for even thinking that way because I tend to forget how much I hated sitting around doing nothing. I really do need to work and I should be thankful to even have a job right now. I can't even count the number of wives on base that are job hunting with no success and here I am complaining about a really nice job.

I was reading some scripture this morning to try to help overcome this feeling and started to realize that maybe its not contentment that I lack, but rather fulfillment. My job at this point (or at least today) is not fulfilling me or challenging me. Most people would say that they would love to sit at work in a comfortable office and play on the computer and get paid for it; I just find myself thinking of everything else I could be doing with my time.

Part of me wants to just quit my job and try to find fulfillment. You see, that right there is my problem! I always seem to be focusing on what is next or what could be better. I am not finding satisfaction in what I have and that is a huge issue! I need to stop and realize that my job is a blessing. I am working for decent pay at a job that is actually in my career field, and working with great Christian people. I am getting valuable experience that will help my career and I need to understand that everyday will not be thrilling.

Now that I have given myself a pep talk, I am off to lunch. I plan to come back to work with a better attitude and a spirit of thankfulness. Please pray for me that I can learn to find joy and fulfillment in even the smallest, most mundane tasks in my life!

1 comments:

Candice Parisi said...

My dear, don't stress. I am sure that many people feel the same way at their jobs at times, especially when they are starting out because people don't challenge them enough. You have always been ambitious and a go-getter but your time will come and just like you said, this is a great stepping stone and you're getting valuable experience. I admire your attitude and how you can realize a problem and do something about it. Good luck with everything. :)

Post a Comment