Memorial Day Weekend

- - - - Friday, May 28, 2010 - - - -

It's Friday!!! And even better - it's the Friday before a long three-day weekend. And even even better - Jake and I have got some really great things planned. Let's start with tonight. At 5pm, our best friends on base Ann & Derek are getting their new assignment. O.M.G. that's crazy! Derek is only three classes ahead of Jake and I remember thinking a year ago that when it was time for their assignment night it would mean that we were almost to ours. I'm so nervous and anxious for them but Derek has done extremely well in UPT so I have no doubt that they'll get one of their top choices (and what's awesome is that our top choices are the same so maybe if we both get what we want we can be stationed together). Poor Ann has been going crazy with the anticipation of finding out where they'll be moving and when. I think she's holding it together well considering... I know I'm going to be a wreck on the day of our assignment night (July 30th!!). My hope is that they get their top choice, which is C-17s to Travis, but they won't have to leave until after July. I know that's selfish but I just can't imagine being here without Ann. Anyways, I am so excited for them and can't wait for tonight!!

But the fun does not stop there, oh no no. Right after assignment night is over, Jake and I will be jumping into our pre-packed car and driving straight to Alabama to spend the weekend with our good friends Katie & Kevin (and of course their sweet baby Drew). Kevin used to be in Jake's UPT class but at Track Select back in February he got the helicopter training track which moved them to Ft. Rucker (about 5 hours away). They were some of our closest friends on base and its been months since we've seen eachother. Katie was so sweet to invite us to spend the weekend with them and of course we jumped at the chance!

So with all this fun stuff going on, I don't plan to be on my computer at all until Monday (I know, I know... thats crazy for me). I don't intend to blog or email or anything, but I figure everyone else will be out enjoying their holiday weekend too so I doubt anyone will notice my short leave of absence.

Memorial Day Weekend here I come! Now if only I could fast-forward through this long workday ahead of me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled onto your blog from MaeMae Paperie awhile back. I'm a past Columbus UPT spouse, we are now stationed in Las Vegas. I have to tell you whenever I read these posts I get that same ol' assignment night feeling in my stomach. I could barely stand to go to those because the anticipation made me crazy! Good luck to your friend and have fun at Rucker – my best friends from home are Army and currently stationed there. It is a gorgeous, green base!

vocalise said...

Hi...Anne Marie Hyer's mom here. Thought you might like to see where she is and what she's doing. Thought you would appreciate...http://sewpurple.blogspot.com/2010/05/hands.html

Post a Comment