On Tuesday I had my long-awaited appointment with the GI Motility Specialist at UC Davis in regards to my stomach pain spasms. I've had many of you email, text, and call to ask how it went (thank you so much for that!) and so I thought I'd write a little update. I really don't have too much to say at this point being that it was just a consultation and no tests were done that day but overall the appointment went really well and I liked the new doctor a lot.
I was really nervous going in because it felt like the millionth time I would have to explain what has been going on to someone new and every time I see a new doctor I feel like I have to try to convince him/her about the severity of the situation and that they never fully listen to all my symptoms/explanation. I've found that past doctors tend to just pick out a few of the symptoms and match it to a general syndrome that is nowhere near accurate to what I'm going through. I'm so happy to say that this doctor was not like that at all. In fact, the appointment was over an hour long because he asked me about a hundred questions and wanted to know every detail about the attacks, what tests I've had done, meds and diets I've tried, etc. He knows that I've seen many doctors and wants to make sure he knows the entire scope of what's been going on. He was very "matter of fact" about it all and showed no emotion or sympathy for me as I sat there fighting back tears (and not doing very well at that) while describing what it feels like to be paralyzed with shrieking pain out of nowhere... to think I must be dying... to have it keep happening with not even a slight indication as to why. But honestly I really don't need or want a doctor's sympathy at this point; instead, I just need someone who wants to try to fix me. And this doctor really really does... and that is awesome!
At the end of the appointment, he sent me to the lab for some more bloodwork (seems like I'm a pro at that now when that used to be one of my greatest fears) and he is setting me up for a few more tests. All of them are very non-invasive thankfully. I made it clear to the doctor that I don't want any more tests done that involve radiation - In the past year I've had 2 MRIs and 2 CT scans, each including various types of contrast dye. I know that is VERY bad on my young body and honestly if they didn't find anything with those 4 tests there should be no reason to keep doing them. The doctor found this to be a reasonable request and just asked for me to send over the images from my those previous tests so that he can take a closer look at them himself.
So that's where I stand as of now. Waiting, waiting, praying, hoping, waiting, and more waiting.
Last time I went a whole 7 weeks between my attacks which was a huge record! ...But then I had 2 back to back attacks on the mornings of March 8th and 9th which got me discouraged all over again. I've never had 2 back to back like that and it was so hard for my body and mind to handle. It was very scary. I pray desperately every day, multiple times a day, for God to take this pain away from me and never let it come back. I believe that He will. Even if it is not this time or even the next I have faith that God does not want or intend for me to suffer like this forever, and WHEN he heals me I will have a wonderful testimony to share with the world :)
Thank you all for your prayers! Keep 'em coming please, especially while Jake is away and I battle these attacks on my own. I'll be sure to keep you all updated on any and all progress.
1 comments:
Will keep you in my prayers and I really hope you find out what is wrong!!!
Post a Comment