While trying to figure out ways to fill my weekends with Jake being away, I decided to take a mini-vacation to Southern CA/Orange County. One thing that I LOVE about living in CA is that I can drive 6 hours away down south and get a total change of scenery and environment. Seriously though, NorCal and SoCal are so different that they might as well be different states haha. Anyways, I had an absolute blast down there!
The trip was for more than just a change of scenery, I mostly went to visit one of my closest friends from college, Kristen. We were both business majors at Biola and had a majority of our classes together the last 2 years of school. Out of all my friends I don't think there is anyone more alike than Kristen and I - We just completely understand eachother and can talk about anything together even if we don't see eachother for years, and I love that!!
I got down to So-Cal on Thursday night and we spent most of that evening just catching up and relaxing. On my drive down, I hit ridiculous traffic coming out of LA which, yes, is normal but this was way more traffic then normal and the freeway was at a complete standstill. I decided to get off the freeway and take the side streets to her house instead which saved a TON of time... and I have to say I was very impressed with myself for remembering my way through all those crazy streets and freeways!
On Friday the weather was ridiculously perfect in the mid-80's so we decided to make it a beach day! Before heading to the beach we stopped at this cute little outdoor restaurant in Brea for some amazing Belgian waffles - Sooo yummy! Okay and maybe we stopped by Starbucks too :)
Next we headed to Table Rock beach in Laguna to enjoy the gorgeous day. The weather was the perfect mixture of very warm and slightly breezy to where we were never cold but never too hot. We just relaxed and read magazines and talked and people watched.... Doesn't that sound amazing? It was!
Random story from the beach... Not long after we got there, we saw a man in a kayak heading around the rocks towards the beach (that alone was impressive because the waves were crazy that morning). When he got closer to shore we noticed something else was on his kayak, and soon realized it was a dog! The dog had a little life jacket on and was just bobbing up and down on the kayak through the waves, loving it!! When they got to shore, the dog hopped off and ran around the beach with his owner. That dog was seriously living the life!! After a few hours, they both hopped right back on the kayak and rode away.
Here's the best picture I could get without being a creeper...
Besides going to the beach, one of the main things I wanted to do while I was in SoCal was visit Biola. I hadn't been back since graduation 3 years ago and I just really wanted to walk around and enjoy the campus... and maybe get a few alumni souvenirs at the gift store :)
I hadn't thought that I missed Biola very much - I guess when I graduated I was just SO ready to be done with school and move on to life that I just said "see ya!" Well when I arrived back at campus on Saturday, I was so overcome with emotion and feelings of nostalgia that I literally had to wear my sunglasses to hide my misty eyes (I know, I know, ridiculous!). I started realizing that I had the most amazing memories and feelings tied to that campus. It's where I learned about myself, learned about God, began dating Jake, made new and wonderful friends, the list goes on and on...
Everywhere I looked I had a memory of some kind, and almost all of them involved Jake. Tie that with me not having seen Jake in 2 1/2 months and yes I was emotional... and it was so wonderful! I was so very blessed to be able to go to such an amazing place for college.
After spending most of the day wandering around campus, we headed back to Kristen's place and enjoyed a few hours catching some warm sun by the pool. It felt like summer that day and that made me so happy!
Saturday night we put on our boots and went to a new county music line dancing place in Anaheim called The Ranch. It was awesome! There was a live band and tons of people and lots of dancing!
On Sunday I was sad to have to head home but was so thankful that I made the quick trip down there. The weekend was exactly what I'd hoped it'd be and more! I forgot how much I love Southern CA and how huge of a role it has played in my life. Thanks Kristen for an amazing weekend! Let's not let it be another year before we do it again okay?!



2 comments:
I so resonate with what you said about Biola...I was definitely ready to go...but am now really missing those days and all of the memories around campus! Thanks for posting this! Hope we can catch up in person one day!
Great pictures! So jealous that you got to go to the beach :-p
Post a Comment