"My Room" (aka the guestroom)

- - - - Wednesday, April 27, 2011 - - - -

One of the nice perks about having a 3-bedroom house and not having any kids is that in addition to the master bedroom we each get our own individual room in the house. Jake gets to have his "man cave" and I get a room to work and relax in and do my scrapbooking and other projects, and since mine is the larger of the rooms, it also doubles as our guestroom.

Since "my room" is where I spend a lot of my day at the desk working, I knew I wanted the decor to be light and bright and clean. After searching the web for some inspiration images, I found myself leaning towards a really fun, contemporary look but had no clue how to make those inspiration images come to life. I may be able to pull blog designs out of thin air, but whenever I try to decorate my home I always feel that I fall short of what I was originally trying to achieve.

I started shopping around but didn't have much luck... and then fate stepped in :) I was wandering through HomeGoods (a dangerously amazing place to shop) and bam! there it was! the perfect desk chair! I know most people probably don't get this excited over a chair but you have to understand that I've been looking for the right one for months and this one had both the look and comfort that I wanted. No more working from the kitchen table, yesss!!

Now because the chair is a bright yellow and white print, I wasn't left with too many options for the rest of the room, and actually I was really confused about what to do because I didn't want an all-yellow room or anything too crazy and colorful. But after consulting some friends on facebook (thanks Kristin!!) the answer was clear - make it a gray room with mustard yellow accents!

So right away I went to Home Depot and picked up some light gray paint, went to Ikea and picked up a dark gray duvet color and a simple white and silver desk lamp. Then I found two amazing (and super soft!) euro shams at Crate & Barrel and the perfect accent pillow at Target to tie everything together. It's amazing how everything fell into place; within 24 hours of finding the chair, I had the whole room practically done! And more than anything, changing the wall color from beige to gray made a HUGE difference. Ah, the wonders of paint!

Now the only thing left to do is find some fun art to put in the frames that are hanging on the wall. Any ideas? I'd also love to get some gray and white striped sheets or pillows to throw on the bed just to mix it up a little more. Anyways, here are a few pictures I took of the room but my camera isn't great for indoor photos so it really doesn't do it justice. I guess you'll just have to come see it in person :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment