A new year and a paint fiasco.

- - - - Friday, January 2, 2009 - - - -

HAPPY NEW YEAR! Welcome to my first blog of 2009.

I know that I have yet to post a picture blog. Honestly, I am dreading the hassle of charging my camera, loading the pictures to my computer, and then uploading them to blogspot. It’s kind of the last thing I’ve wanted to do the past few days. I do realize though that nobody has any idea what my house and town actually look like. I really am going to try soon to get over the hassle and go take pictures. Bear with me on that…

As for the past few days, I’ve been busy as usual; not a very fun kind of busy though.  I’ve just been doing more unpacking and organizing, and with a house this big it seems that something always needs to be cleaned. Yesterday I unpacked our last box! I’ve totally snapped into wife mode too. I have cooked every meal (excluding breakfast) for the past 6 days, and by cook I mean really cook not just heat up frozen food. I’m always picking up after Jake and Bailey and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. Really though I don’t mind doing any of it. It makes me feel good to make Jake’s life a bit less stressful and I personally LOVE a clean house.

New Years Eve was extremely uneventful. We never imagined how having a puppy could change our lives so much. I mean she is so little that we can’t just leave her whenever we want to, at least not for more than an hour or two. She just needs ‘round the clock attention. Anyways, because of her we couldn’t really go out on the town to celebrate (that’s kind of a joke considering the town of Columbus); we were just planning on staying in and watching a movie or something. I would have loved to watch the “Rockin’ New Year’s Eve” concerts but sadly cable tv is not here yet. Around 9pm though, some friends of ours called and said they were bored too so we ended up going over to their house until midnight and playing wii games. It was pretty fun but there was not really any New Years celebrating or anything.
I should probably tell the story of what happened on Tuesday. It was one of those awful scenarios where you are so upset and crying and then there is nothing left to do but laugh. 

Okay here’s the story. You probably remember me saying how ugly our bathrooms are in the house with the bright teal tile half way up the walls and in the shower. Well, Jake and I decided that we would try to paint the tile white and make it look better. After talking to people at the paint store, it seemed like painting tile was not the best idea. We however decided to try it anyways. This was last week and the tile painting took about 5 days. To our surprise the tile turned out great! It was night and day difference in the bathroom. Here’s where it went wrong. We thought that we would now paint the wall itself a nice color to contrast with our new nice white tile. We picked out just a neutral tan color to paint on the walls. When we started putting it on the wall it was coming out this really awful color and was not covering the white paint behind it. We just figured that was nothing to worry about and that it just needed another coat. Well after 3 coats, the wall was still blotchy and discolored. The worst part was the color itself. No joke, it looked like someone took poop and wiped it across our walls. Not a great look for the bathroom… We spent 2 straight days trying to paint numerous coats to make it look better. Throughout this, our brown paint (which wasn’t even supposed to be brown) just kept getting worse looking. Finally when I realized the mess we had made I broke down. It was awful. Jake was upset too because he had spent so much time on the tile only to have the bathroom look worse than when it had teal tile. After crying, we sat on the floor looking at the hideous walls and all we could do was laugh. I mean this was the saddest, ugliest looking bathroom you could possibly imagine. At that point it was funny to us. We knew that we could not possibly spend any more money trying to fix up a dumb bathroom so we had to either use what we had to fix it or just deal with it. Wednesday I went on a mission to try and fix it and came across the idea of sponge painting the walls. This actually worked. I just used a lighter color paint and used a sponge to add a layer over the brown. The unevenness of the brown paint even added to the effect of the sponge painting. To be honest, it does not look amazing or at all how I ever wanted it to look but it is much better and at least something I can live with. Anyways, that was my fiasco this week. It sounds kind of silly now that I’m writing it out but it was just awful at the time.

For an update on Bailey, she has grown so much! It’s so weird that she is growing so fast that we actually notice a difference like every day. She is such a smart dog and has already learned her name and how to walk on a leash. Today she started learning the “sit” command and was doing a great job already. She is now starting to sleep most of the night in her crate which is wonderful for us. We were having to get up every 2-3 hours to take her outside but now its only once or twice a night. The only problem we are having with her so far is her biting. The vet said she is getting in her molars and that is why she wants to chew and bite everything. It’s extremely annoying though and she doesn’t quite understand what she can and cannot bite. Jake and I are trying not to get frustrated with her because we realize she is just a puppy and is teething. Anyways, pray for our patience with that…puppy teeth are sharp!

Other than all that, Jake and I are doing good. Jake is anxious to start working (the base has been on holiday break and goes back on Monday). I am excited because Jaclyn comes out to visit on Sunday! It will be so nice to have some family out here and be able to show her around. Maybe she can force me to take some pictures for you all ;) 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i will be following your blog and updating randy. after hearing about the puppy i think randy will definitely not let me get one ;-). but i can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing your stories...and the ones about Bailey are awesome...if you haven't, get that pup some chew toys lol it'll help :) Love you!
Cass

Post a Comment