10-13 SUPT Graduation

- - - - Sunday, August 15, 2010 - - - -

Friday was the day we've been waiting for... the day Jake got his wings and officially graduated pilot training! It was a busy and exciting day and something we will both remember forever. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime kind of event. It started out with a morning breakfast where the wing commander spoke to all of the family and friends of the graduates, then we all headed over to the auditorium for the graduation ceremony. After a few speakers shared their words of wisdom for the new pilots, the class awards were announced and then each pilot earned their wings. Jake did not think he would be getting any awards at the graduation, being that there are very few awards given out, but I have to say I was not at all surprised when Jake's name got called up - and not just for any award - for Distinguished Graduate! This is the highest award anyone can get out of UPT and it means that Jake graduated at the very top of his class! This award will follow him through his entire career and is something to be very proud of. Jake was also one of two who received the AETC Commanders Trophy. I was a very proud wife to say the least - I mean just finishing pilot training is a majorly HUGE life accomplishment but to see Jake get rewarded for all the extra effort he has put in over the last year really made me happy. After the ceremony, we enjoyed a nice lunch with his family and then went over to Jake's flightroom to check it out and go in a T-1 flight simulator. A wonderful beginning to the day!! Click on the photos below to view the larger size + caption...


In the evening we all got dressed up to go to the formal graduation banquet. It was the first time that Jake has ever worn his "mess dress" and holy moly did he look handsome!! The dinner was by far the BEST part of the day I thought. We had great food, we got to see a slideshow of this year's memories (which I have to mention that at least a third of the pictures were taken off of my blog or facebook haha), we were shown an awesome video collage from that morning's ceremony, and Jake was given two more awards!! He got the Flying Excellence award for having the highest checkride scores in his class and he also got the Military Training award. Did I mention I am so stinkin' proud of him?! Then after the awards, each of the married guys did a little tribute to their spouses for all the support and encouragement during UPT. One by one, each of the guys went up to their wives, presented them with a rose, and gave them a kiss (each time trying to "out-do" the guy before him). It was so funny! We also got an award certificate and earned our own little set of wings. We UPT spouses have been through a LOT too over this past year and it was a wonderful surprise to be recognized at the dinner. Jake and I got some professional pictures taken at the dinner so I'll definitely post them when we get them back but here are some from my camera...

The entire night was a huge success and was a great "last time" all together as UPT family 10-13. This past year was arguably the hardest year Jake and I have ever had, individually and together, but we will always look back on it with so many amazing memories. And while our life in the Air Force is just getting started, I can now officially say that this long "UPT chapter" is officially CLOSED!

0 comments:

Post a Comment